Pages

Thursday, October 30, 2014

36 Week Doctors Appointment

On Tuesday I went to the doctor for my 36 week appointment. This marks the start of weekly doctors appointments, so every Monday I've got to get weighed, measured and poked. I mention the poking because this also starts the weekly cervical checks. I had been hearing about these from the women on my What To Expect App and from their accounts, these things sucked. Some women complained of extreme pain and bleeding afterwards, and others said that it caused them to get Braxton Hicks contractions for the rest of the day. No bueno!

BUT....I was still really excited for the cervical check up because it would tell me if my body and baby had begun to prepare for birth. I am happy to report that I am 1cm dilated and 50% effaced. Which means, to those who didn't know this (like me before I got pregnant) that labor could happen tomorrow...or in three weeks....or a week past my due date. Pretty much, being dilated means not a whole lot at this point and most women begin to dilate within the month before labor. My sister was 2-3cm dilated for three weeks and then went over her due date!! So I'm not holding my breath that anything is about to happen but my doctor seemed pretty confidant that my body will go into labor naturally and not need an induction. YAY.

She did, however, give me some options. I asked her how long she lets patients go past their due date before inducing labor (a very important question because I sure as hell don't want to be waiting until I'm 42 weeks to meet my little one). She reassured me by telling me that she never lets her patients go beyond 41 weeks because "the placenta might start conking out"---her words.

She also gave me the option of scheduling an induction for a day she would be on-call in the labor and delivery unit, either the 19th (3 days before DD) or the 24th (2 days after DD). I have to say it was really REALLY tempting to hear that I could be induced a few days before my due date, especially since everyone tells me that I will be late because its my first pregnancy. However, inductions come with all sorts of other complications, including the increased risk of c-section, as well as a more painful experience (so I've heard). So after talking with Matt, we decided that at our next appointment we will go ahead and plan an induction for the 24th, but hope that things progress naturally before then. This may not be everyone's way to go, but we have a few reasons why we like this idea:
1. both of our lucky numbers is 24....a random piece of trivia we discovered about each other when we first met.
2. she will be born well before Thanksgiving (this year)
3. She will not share a birthday with any of the MANY family and friends we have that have November birthdays
4. If I get to my due date with no baby, at least there will be a light at the end of the tunnel
5. She will be a Sagittarius
6. Our doctor will be able to deliver her for sure....and we love our doctor

So there you have it. Baby girl Pontius will be born by the 25th of November!!

XOXO 
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment